As prescribed by the By-Laws, the Board of Directors of the U.S. Backgammon Federation announces that members may nominate candidates, including themselves, for election to the Board of Directors. Nominees must be members of the USBGF. The Board asks members to please limit their nominees to candidates who have expressed a willingness to serve and to contribute to the Board. Nominations must be submitted to Art Benjamin, email@example.com , before 12:00 midnight Central Time, October 28, 2022.
Five seats will be up for election this year. Two Incumbents (Benjamin Friesen and John Pirner) plan to stand for re-election to the Board. The Board wishes to thank Karen Davis, Art Benjamin, Rich Munitz, and Neil Kazaross for serving on the Board for three consecutive, three-year terms elected by the membership. Collectively they have served the organization in many leadership roles. It is only with their support and guidance that the USBGF exists today.
Board Member Responsibilities
- Support and advocate for the USBGF mission.
- Board members have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the organization has sufficient resources to sustain the viability of the organization and to support the mission.
- Ensure that the organization’s resources are used to advance the mission.
- Recognize conflicts of interest, and ensure that decisions are made in the best interest of the organization.
- Participate in a collegiate atmosphere with other Board members and staff.
- Contribute significant time by leading a committee or supporting the work of the USBGF staff.
- Board members are expected to make personal financial contributions to the USBGF, according to their ability.
After receiving nominations, the USBGF Governance and Nominating Committee will review the slate of candidates, confirm that each will serve if elected, solicit a statement of qualifications and, if approved, recommend candidates to the membership. In their statement of qualifications, Board candidates are expected to explicitly address these questions:
- Why do you want to join the Board?
- What do you want to accomplish as a Board member?
- What skills and expertise will you bring to the Board?
The election will take place from November 15 to November 30 by electronic ballot. Each USBGF member may cast a ballot for up to five candidates. All candidates, incumbent or otherwise, run ‘at-large’ (not for specific seats) with the five candidates receiving the most votes being elected. There are certain other qualifications outlined in the By-Laws.
It is crucial for the continued success of the organization that viable, qualified, willing candidates be nominated by the membership. Fresh ideas, new expertise, and enthusiasm enhance the functioning of the Board.
President and Executive Director