We are pleased to inform you about the commencement of the nomination period for the upcoming 2023 U.S. Backgammon Federation (USBGF) Board of Directors Election. As a valued member of our community, your participation in the election process is vital to the continued success and growth of the USBGF. This year’s election aims to select dedicated individuals who will contribute their time and expertise to guide the USBGF toward its goals and objectives.
As prescribed by the By-Laws, the Board of Directors of the U.S. Backgammon Federation announces that members may nominate candidates, including themselves, for election to the Board of Directors. Nominees must be members of the USBGF. The Board asks members to please limit their nominees to candidates who have expressed a willingness to serve and to contribute to the Board.
Submit Your Nominations
Please direct all nominations to Antoinette-Marie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of 12:00 midnight Central Time on September 7, 2023.
Three Seats Open for Election
This year, three Board seats will be open for election. One incumbent, April Mesich, intends to seek re-election. We would like to express our gratitude to Joe Russell and Cary Hoarty for their dedicated service. Joe served on the board for three consecutive, three-year terms elected by our members. He will step down as Chairman of the Board after the election. Cary believes that he lacks the necessary time to contribute in the manner he aspires to, prompting his decision to step down. Their guidance has been invaluable.
Board Member Responsibilities
The role of a Board member is pivotal in shaping our organization’s journey. To this end, we emphasize the following responsibilities:
- Support and advocate for the USBGF mission.
- Board members have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure the organization has sufficient resources to sustain the viability of the organization and to support the mission.
- Ensure that the organization’s resources are used to advance the mission.
- Recognize conflicts of interest, and ensure that decisions are made in the best interest of the organization.
- Participate in a collegiate atmosphere with other Board members and staff.
- Contribute significant time by leading a committee or supporting the work of the USBGF staff.
- Board members are expected to make personal financial contributions to the USBGF, according to their ability.
After receiving nominations, the USBGF Governance and Nominating Committee will review the slate of candidates, confirming their willingness to serve if elected. We will also request a statement of qualifications from candidates and, if approved, recommend candidates to the membership.
In their statement of qualifications, Board candidates are expected to explicitly address these questions:
- Why do you want to join the Board?
- What do you want to accomplish as a Board member?
- What skills and expertise will you bring to the Board?
The election will take place from September 15 to September 30 by electronic ballot. Each USBGF member may cast a ballot for up to five candidates. All candidates, incumbent or otherwise, run ‘at-large’ (not for specific seats) with the five candidates receiving the most votes being elected. Further qualifications are outlined in our By-Laws.
It is crucial for the continued success of the organization that viable, qualified, willing candidates be nominated by the membership. Fresh ideas, new expertise, and enthusiasm enhance the functioning of the Board.