Where do I play online?

Home Forums Membership Support Where do I play online?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jerry Nussbaum 1 year, 4 months ago. This post has been viewed 1114 times

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jeff Schwarz
    Participant

I am a brand new Premium member. I cannot find a link to the online backgammon that I was told you have. Please tell me where it is?

Bill Riles
    Participant

Jeff, welcome to the USBGF. All of our on-line tournaments are held on GridGammon. It is a free site but requires a reference to get an account. Your USBGF membership gives you that reference. If you click on the tab ‘Online Circuit’ on the USBGF homepage you then are taken to another page. An option there is ‘New GG Account’. You can fill out that form to apply for a GridGammon account. Please only submit the form one time.

Jeff Schwarz
    Participant

How long does it usually take to hear back from GG? I submitted my form, but it was only about 16 hours ago.

Richard Griggs Jr
    Richard Griggs Jr
    Participant

I’m right with you and wondering how long does it take? I’m ready to play.

Jeff Schwarz
    Participant

Yeah, it’s been six days now. Not even a confirmation email.

It took a couple months and several emails to get my GridGammon login. And, as an aside, I NEVER got a response to my emails to Tara Mendicino or anyone else at USBGF. Best bet seems to be to bend their ear at a tournament. I suppose the foot-dragging is a good way to winnow out the uncommitted…

Jeff Schwarz
    Participant

I suspect the foot-dragging is more effective at turning away members they would like to have.

Karl Duzell
    Participant

Does the USBGF send a link to Gridgammon? I’ve gotten an account number but I’ve not been shown how to get online.

You might be better off with something like Backgammon Ace. It’s a pretty good app that allows you to play fake money games with people all over the world. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good. Mochy occasionally streams on it.

Gridgammon is really terrible when it comes to getting on . Been trying for some time now. They ignore you pretty much.

Karl Duzell
    Participant

Thanks for the note Miles. Sorry you’re having problems too, at least I know it’s their fault. I’ll keep emailing the USBGF and Gridgammon

Jerry Nussbaum
    Participant

I am sure that all members who rely on GridGammon (GG) for our USBGF online tournament play (as well as just general pick-up games) have been very frustrated that the site has been down now for well over a week. I wish GG had given us a heads-up that this was going to occur. Many matches that were scheduled have had to be postponed indefinitely due to this extended outage. There are reasonable explanations for the outage coming from GG’s owner on their Facebook page, and from their support team by email to those who have contacted it, and those explanations are welcome, but still there is no indication when it will be back. Plus all of us who play there have experience GG’s fragility while we’ve been playing (i.e., the server dumping us while we’re playing, sometimes multiple times in one match. Maybe the work that’s occurring now will deal with this problem?) I would like to suggest that USBGF needs to get involved. Perhaps some kind of mechanism can be set up to support GG to keep it up and running on a reliable basis. I understand GG is a private business and USBGF has no real control over it, but we do rely on it and I believe a discussion needs to occur as to how to move forward. Personally I would like to see USBGF sponsor this site, however, if that is not possible how about some other reliable site where members can play?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.