etiquette, and real life vs on-line

Home Forums General Discussion etiquette, and real life vs on-line

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kenneth Johnson 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 630 times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Tim Boyd-Wilson
    Participant

Hi …

i write about an etiquette issue. in general, my feeling is that players are more polite in ‘real’ life than in on-line. i find now that most gg matches are silent, apart from standard greetings and goodbyes … and that’s fine.

there is still the odd steamer who’s focus is more on the dice than the board, and likes to highlight luck. i’m not sure why. play chess if you don’t like luck; or learn multiplication tables.

but one thing on gg does annoy me … and that’s opponents who try out move after move before making a choice. surely this is something no-one would ever do playing live. it’s just rude, imo.

any other interesting differences people have noticed?

Kenneth Johnson
    Participant

I will make a couple observations, concerning real life versus online (specifically at Gridgammon).

When playing a multi-point match in person, no one says “good game” or “good luck” after EVERY GAME; we wait for the match to conclude. But, there are a couple of online players who choose to offer the compliments or well-wishes following each game. Not necessary, but I’m not sure how to explain it to them since their heart is probably in the right place – they simply haven’t thought about it. Maybe they will see this post and get a clue!(I suppose the annoyance is compounded because some of these individual games were not “good” at all, but pure luck, and the comments add insult to injury if you are on the losing end).

My other comment is for some of the players in the Backgammon Premier League (BPL). Although the rules for the league and the guidelines for this venue have been spelled out by the organizers multiple times, some of the players continue to “report” after they have lost. It is the winner’s responsibility to report their win. Anyone who has participated in a “live” event at any level (from local clubs to state championships) knows how it works. Again, maybe those folks will read the post and finally “get a clue.”

Carry on, gridders….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.