collaborated efforts to advance backgammon theory

Home Forums General Discussion collaborated efforts to advance backgammon theory

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Dave Zick 1 year, 2 months ago. This post has been viewed 555 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dave Zick

Hi…just joined. I have been out of the loop for what, almost thirty years? …Finally got back into the game while undergoing cancer treatment…played tens of thousands of matches with gnu….tried a few markov chains, etc but i am not a programmer….i am from the LAST EXIT school of backgammon….Al Stefan, Bill Phipps, Bill Schill, Thornton Guererro etc….back then we did what we could to figure this dang game out…just wondering if any of that is still going on…interested in joining collaborated efforts to expand understanding on how this game should be played….by the way, neural net bots are far from the final answer..it is not very hard to set up starting positions where they are helplessly outplayed. however, they are extremely effective tools for analytic investigation…juss sayin

Dave Zick

looking for general principles…example…the two gap theorem…it is usually a take if, while holding one of your opponents inner board points, your opponent has a four, five, or six prime with at least two gaps in it, provided that you either are not less than about 20 pips down, OR, that you have sufficient containment power in the form of board with timing, outfield control, or mixture….

Dave Zick

theorem is too strong of a word…how about hypothesis or rule of thumb….I first noticed this hypo when i had cancer…i saved about two thousand positions that i had rolled out, and was going to write a bg book…but…when i had recovered, i realized that i had too much material…and i did not want to attempt to complete the Magriel program of nine books…went on to other stuff…I used this hypo to win a tournament recently..relevant positions come up with enough frequency for this hypo to be useful…but i would like to roll out a few thousand positions of this type to refine the hypo…exceptions do occur, especially when the two gaps are the final void to be jumped by the outermost point that ones opponent holds….bg seems to have way slowed up since the eighties and nineties, or this would have been done already, what, with the powerful tools that we have today…a sad situation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.